Is reading passé?

Last week I came across a survey results, showing the decrease in the number of people who read books regularly. I realized that indeed, in case of me and my friends literature is definitely not the most common topic of conversation. It made me wonder what the cause is. Is it some generational issue? When I talk to my parents, teachers etc. they make an impression that in their younger days reading was something desired, something that led to long and passionate discussions. Maybe that change is a result of different understanding of mass media after the Internet’s emergence? It is not only for the teenagers that literature keeps losing its importance. I know a lot of adults who used to read a lot when they were young but now they rarely find time for it. That raises the question how will it look in 20 or 30 years when our generation will be our parents’ age. Will anyone read books at all if most of teenagers now do not enjoy it?

Komentarze

  1. And yet in Britain, where a large proportion of the world's books is published, reading is still thriving and many people study creative writing to become writers.
    I remember I had a long break in reading myself when I only read professional stuff. But I returned to fiction and non-fiction and can see the benefits.

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  2. That's unfortunately true, I still miss those hours-long discussions about the books we would all read and share our thoughts on them. Now none of us has enough spare time to read regularly anything except for school-connected stuff. Hopefully this will change once we get older and work just one full-time job instead of two/three (because let's be honest - that's what school is)

    OdpowiedzUsuń

Prześlij komentarz

Popularne posty z tego bloga

Would you like to work in the Madarin Oriental?

Ginger root

Taste the World Festival